I enjoyed Secret Pal 10 so much, that I've signed up for Secret Pal 11. Yet again I need to post the answers to a questionnaire, so non-knitting readers can now tune out...
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
Acrylic has its place, usually when knitting baby clothes, but I don't enjoy knitting with it much. I am also not a fan of novelty/eyelash yarn. Although that got me back into knitting 18 months ago, I find it a pain to knit with. I'm currently indulging in a passion for hand-dyed, particularly sock yarn. I love Lazy Kate, Posh Yarn Emily and am currently knitting up some 100% Blue Faced Leicester from Fyberspates, which I think is going to be great for winter boot socks.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
The DPNs are in the side pocket of my knitting bag, the straights and circs are in an old gift bag down the side of the sofa, with the circs quietly knotting themselves together.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learnt when I was maybe 7 (I was definitely knitting in Brownies) and although I can't really remember, it will have been my Mum who taught me. However, although I learnt to knit 30 odd years ago, I've only moved beyond rectangular pieces of garter or stocking stitch within the last 9 months. since then I have mastered socks, tried short row shaping, tried lace and some fair isle. I think I'm probably intermediate.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent?
In terms of general smells, I love vanilla, cinnamon and other mixed spice type Christmas smells, lavender when used sparingly, anything that smells of the ocean (apart from rotting fish - did that when I lived by the harbour in Whitehaven), coffee, fresh bread, freshly mown grass and rifle grease.My favourite perfume is Trésor by Lancôme
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I like Green and Black's dark chocolate and Crunchies and dark chocolate Bounty bars are good too... I like pear drops too, and lots of the boiled sweets you used to be able to buy by the ounce from the big jars in sweet shops when I was a kid. I love trying sweets and chocolates from different countries when I'm on holiday.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I make my own cards and when the light is good and I have the patience, I do counted cross stitch. I have never tried spinning. I suspect there may be too many different parts of my body to co-ordinate at once...
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s?
I like most kinds I suppose. I'm particularly fond of 80s, folk and indie, but most things with a catchy tune and lyrics I can hear work for me. My iPod seems to have a very eclectic mix. I do however have a pretty puritanical stance on copyright. Pirate music is stealing. So there.
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love all sorts. Greens and purples are particular favourites, black's bit of a no-no (see the cats...)
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
A and I have been married for 13 years (known him over half my life now...) and we have two cats (see blog for details...)
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to all, although I only have one poncho, when they came back in again a few years ago. I love it, but it's black, so picks up the cat hairs terribly. I don't really do lacy, crochety things - they catch on cat claws and door handles too easily, but I am starting to include some of these things now I'm a knitter.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Currently socks - let's be honest, I haven't knitted much more than that! However, I am enjoying the lace I'm working on, inspired by Hanna, my SP from last time!
13. What are you knitting right now?
Socks, Clapotis, an Icarus shawl, a toddler's jumper (time to face the fear of sleeves!) and the same tank top in alpaca I talked about last time...
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I don't have much preference at the moment. If using straight, then I prefer bamboo; I have used circular needles for lace and big bulky items, to take the width better. I knit socks and hats on DPNs (bamboo or Addi turbos, which are brill!)
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Only my husband...
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
The alpaca tank top was started in January I think. I also have a scarf I started about 18 months ago in Curly-Wurly that I got frustrated with trying to knit with it so put it away. I now hate it.
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Italy! Or do you mean like "Happy Holidays"? Well, here in the UK we have Bank Holidays that are days off work, but no-one really links them to the old reason for having them (do you actually know anyone who celebrates Lammastide?). I like Easter, because I love Spring. I'm a sucker for Christmas, but I don't always enjoy it these days - too much rushing about, I suppose.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I buy simply knitting regularly, but I don't have a subscription. I'd love Zimmerman's The Opinionated Knitter and Sensational Knitted Socks by Charlene Schurch, but I can't justify another knitting book right now! I'd love to try different natural plant fibre yarns, as I've only really used cotton.
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'd like to try cables and entrelac and I'd love to knit a Moebius scarf for A, but I don't know how to...
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes! I'm a UK size 7, the free pattern with Opal sock yarns fit me to a T. The sole of my foot is 25cm long, the circumference around the ball of the foot is 24.8cm and my ankle has a circumference of 25cm.
23. When is your birthday?
I mention it in my blog... it's not that hard to find!
24. Are you on Ravelry? If so, what's your ID?
Not yet! I am about 16,000th in the queue, with about 8,000 people ahead of me at the moment.