I've signed up for Secret Pal 10, so I need to post the answers to my Questionnaire. Non-knitting readers have my permission to glaze over at this point...
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?
I have really enjoyed knitting with Debbie Bliss Cashmerino and RYC Cashsoft Aran. Both of these feel gorgeous, and they knit up quite quickly too. Opal self-striping sock yarns are also fab - I love watching the patterns develop! I'm not overly keen on acrylic mixes - I made a whole load of hats before Christmas using some acrylic mixes and I've had my fill for a while...
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in?
Nothing - they are currently shoved down by the side of the sofa.
3. How long have you been knitting & how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced?
I learnt when I was maybe 7 (I was definitely knitting in Brownies) and although I can't really remember, it will have been my Mum who taught me. However, although I learnt to knit 30 odd years ago, I've only moved beyond rectangular pieces of garter or stocking stitch within the last 6 months. Since then I have learnt how to combine knit and purl for moss stitch and rib and mastered SSK as well as k2tog. I haven't really done much increasing and no fancy stuff! I can knit socks, but I've never tried sleeves, necks or button holes.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
5. What's your favorite scent?
Trésor by Lancôme
UPDATE 11-3-07: Doh! I've just been reading other people's answers and I'm so... LITERAL! I assumed it meant perfume. In terms of general smells, I love vanilla, cinamon and other mixed spice type Christmas smells, lavender when used sparingly, anything that smells of the ocean (apart from rotting fish - did that when I lived by the harbour in Whitehaven), coffee, fresh bread, freshly mown grass and rifle grease.
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy?
I like Green and Black's dark chocolate, but I'm not that big a fan of chocolate bars themselves. Crunchies and dark chocolate Bounty bars are good though...
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin?
I make my own cards and when the light is good and I have the patience, I do counted cross stitch. I have never tried spinning.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s?
I like most kinds I suppose. I'm particularly fond of 80s, folk and indie, but most things with a catchy tune and lyrics I can hear work for me. My iPod seems to have a very eclectic mix...
9. What's your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can't stand?
I love all sorts. Greens and purples are particular favourites, black's bit of a no-no (see the cats...)
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?
A and I have been married for over 12 years (known him over half my life now...) and we have two cats (see blog for details...)
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos?
Yes to all, although I only have one poncho, when they came back in again a few years ago. I love it, but it's black, so picks up the cat hairs terribly. I don't really do lacy, crochety things - they catch on cat claws and door handles too easily!
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?
Currently hats and socks - let's be honest, I haven't knitted much more than that!
13. What are you knitting right now?
A very tiny sock, a blanket, a cotton tote bag and a tank top in alpaca.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts?
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?
I don't have much preference at the moment. If using straight, then I prefer bamboo; I have used circular needles for knitting the tote bag and the blanket, to take the width better. I knit socks and hats on DPNs (bamboo or Addi turbos, which are brill!)
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift?
Since I don't know what they are, I'd have to say no!
17. How old is your oldest UFO?
The tote bag was started in November, I have a scarf started about a year ago in Curly-Wurly (I got frustrated with trying to knit with it so put it away) and of course, I still haven't stitched the flippers on that whale...
18. What is your favorite holiday?
Italy! Or do you mean like "Happy Holidays"? Well, here in the UK we have Bank Holidays that are days off work, but no-one really links them to the old reason for having them (do you actually know anyone who celebrates Lammastide?). I like Easter, because I love Spring. I'm a sucker for Christmas, but I don't always enjoy it these days - too much rushing about, I suppose.
19. Is there anything that you collect?
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?
I wouldn't mind a book on sock knitting. I don't have any subscriptions (A says I'm not old enough)
21. Are there any new techniques you'd like to learn?
I'd like to try cables. Also I remember a lovely Fair Isle tank top Mum knitted me in the days when Woman magazine had weekly knitting patterns - it was in soft greens and lilacs and I have very fond memories of it. I'd love to be able to knit something similar.
UPDATE 6-3-07: I've just seen a pattern for an entrelac cushion cover - can't currently make sense of it, but I'd love to master this too! Could urgently do with some illustrated instructions!
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements?
Yes! I'm a UK size 7, the free pattern with Opal sock yarns fit me to a T. The sole of my foot is just over 9 inches long.
23. When is your birthday?
I mention it in my blog... it's not that hard to find!