Sunday, July 15, 2007

Oldest Swinger in Town..

Last Saturday, A and I schlepped to Old Trafford to see Genesis. I have never paid so much for gig tickets and, based on how I felt when we went to go and see Duran Duran at th eMEN arena three years ago, I knew I needed a comfy seat - sadly the back can't cope with continued standing in one spot these days.

Combined with the beginings of an exhaustion migraine which resulted from sleeping for over 12 hours the night/morning before, I wasn't expected value for money.

Oh boy was I wrong. It was brilliant.

And A and I weren't the oldest swingers in town, by any stretch of the imagination. With the exception of a couple of 10 year olds, we were quite a bit younger than most of the rest of the audience. Funny sights included the most miserable pair of old gits I've ever seen attend a gig - they never stood up, clapped, sang, cheered - £65 is a hell of a lot of money to pay to be miserable, that's all I can say. Also spotted was a couple in matching padded country jackets (not barbours, but a style much associated with country ladies d'un certain age in both Oxfordshire and Chesire) who loved it but left about half-way through and a lovely lady of approximately 60, jiving away in her twinset and pearls clutching a cup of tea.

We saw Genesis 15 years ago at Roundhey Park, when they were promoting their last studio album with Phil Collins. Then they played stuff primarily from the 80s and the We Can't Dance album, but last week they played LOADS of early stuff. Class. I never thought I'd have the opportunties to hear Carpet Crawlers live. OK, it wasn't Gabriel, but it's still a stunner of a song...

Soundtrack: Abacab - Genesis; Mardy Bum - Arctic Monkeys; Making History - Clear; Debaser - The Pixies

No comments: