Monday, March 19, 2007

Rugby, stash and FOs

Hurrah, hurrah and thrice, hurrah!

After 4 pretty dismal matches, Wales beat England! Shame we couldn't play like this more often, but there you go...

So what else did I do on Saturday? Well, it was very exciting, I went shopping for ... oven gloves. Jeesh. I have all the fun, don't I?

But I ended up at Lakeland Limited, on my own, which was a bit of a sneaky pleasure. I think it is the most amazing company ever, with fantastic customer service. A hates it with a passion, accusing it of selling "useless gadgets that women don't realise they don't need".

Whatever.

Anyhow, he's been moaning about the state of the space down by the side of the sofa where I stuff all my knitting clobber. So I found a solution! I found a storage box with a padded lid, and filled it with (most of) my stash.










Yes, nearly all that top layer IS sock yarn. Do you think I have a bit of a problem? There are three layers in total, I really hadn't realised how much I had, but it's not all sock yarn, honest! Some of it doesn't even have a project in mind, I just thought at £1 a ball it was too good an opportunity to miss...

So that's, rugby and stash dealt with. FOs? Well, there's two! Ta da!

First up, it's another pair of baby socks, finished on Sunday evening. These are for my cousin's new baby and because they are proper sock construction, they also qualify for my first pair of socks for SAM3.


Pattern: Meg by Megan Humphreys
Yarn: Opal Rodeo in colour 1156
Needles: 2.5mm bamboo DPNs
Modifications: picked up 8 stitches each side of heel flap, added one extra decrease row when shaping gusset.


I finished the second project tonight. It feels like it's been around for ever, but actually, it's only been about five weeks. This is a blanket for Bruce, based on the one I knit for Anna last year (the one that started me knitting again) It doesn't show up very well in the picture, but it has a moss stitch border and st.st. and reverse st.st. squares in the centre panel. I felt Anna's was a bit small so I increased this.



Pattern: Baby Blanket from Teach Yourself Knitting by Sally Walton.
Yarn: Sirdar Snuggly DK in shade 0303
Needles: 5.5mm bamboo
Mods: Lots! To start with, the pattern is wrong - follow it and you'd knit rib not moss stitch! I used bigger needles this time around, did 12 rows of moss stitch top and bottom (not 10) and put 8 x 5 panels in the centre, not 8 x 4.

So there you go. I guess I'd better get on with some work now...

2 comments:

Karen said...

I'm green with envy...lucky you, you have Opal Lollipop in my favorite colorway (that I can't find here in the US). Ok, I'm better now.

Seahorse said...

Congrats on the FOs.

My stash is much bigger than that, so I think you have a way to go before you need feel guilty ;)